“Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful: Standing beside those who suffer on a path of charity” is the theme of this year’s observance of the Word Day of the Sick on February 11, the memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes.
A Mass will be celebrated by Bishop Bambera for the thirtieth annual World Day of the Sick on Friday, February 11, 2022 at 12:10 PM at the Cathedral of Saint Peter in Scranton. The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick will be administered at this Mass to anyone in need of the sacrament.
Parishes around the diocese are encouraged to offer a Mass for the Sick that includes the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick either on February 11 or another convenient day near it. Resources for celebrating a Mass with the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick can be found below.
- Message from Pope Francis for the Thirtieth Annual World Day of the Sick
- USCCB Order for the Blessing of the Sick
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Sacrament
- Liturgical Preparation for Masses with Anointing of the Sick
- Resources from the National Association of Catholic Chaplains
- Additional background information could be drawn from The Catechism of the Catholic Church, #’s 1499 – 1532 and Pastoral Care of the Sick, General Introduction, #’s 1 – 37.
Questions? Assistance needed? Please feel free to contact David Baloga in the Office for Parish Life 570-207-2213 or at David-Baloga@dioceseofscranton.org.