St. Matthew Parish, East Stroudsburg
Families/Households Total 2228
Parishioners – Total 6469
- Infant 28
- Adult 13
- Received into Full Communion 1
- First Communion (include adults) 66
- Confirmation 57
- Marriage, Total 7
- Catholic 5
- Ecumenical/Interfaith 2
- Anointing of Sick (estimate)
- Christian Burial 32
- High School Youth Ministry 25
- Parish Religious Ed – Pre K-Grade 8 347
- Annual Income: $792,000
- Annual Budget: $784,000
- Cash on Hand: $40,000
- Current Debt: $100,000 (mortgage on a house acquired for additional future parking)
- Savings Account: $363,000 savings, $230,000 building and maintenance fund, $476,000 endowment for parish education.
- Cemetery Savings Account: $7,000 (two small cemeteries – no new plots available)
- Annual Appeal Goal: $80,000
Current Financial performance / Attendance Trends:
The parish has worked hard to improve its finances. There have been two increased offertory campaigns. The weekly collections have increased from $7,000 to $12,500. An additional $100,000 per year is being raised for building and maintenance improvements that is not reflected in the above income and expense numbers (a monthly envelope, rental of the parish center, and the parish festival generate this income)
Through communication and education, weekly supporters (envelope or electronic giving) have increased from 270 to 480 families. This education needs to continue as the parish is growing with over 100 new members each year (transient community). Average weekly Mass attendance has grown from 1,000 to 1,400. The attendance during the two months prior to the pandemic was in the 1,500’s with a high of 1,650. The parish is experiencing significant growth.
- Assistant Pastor Full time
- Assistant Pastor Half Position Spanish Ministry
- Business Manager Part time Independent Contractor
- Office Lead Receptionist Part time (30 hours per week)
- Receptionists Part time (30 hours per week)
- Campus / Youth Ministry Full time
- Maintenance Three part time (60 hours per week)
- Housekeeping Three part time (65 hours per week)
- Religious Ed Part time (stipend)
- Music Director Small stipend / Paid for each Mass
- Part time Music Directors for youth choirs
- Sacristan Part time (minimal)
- Weekend Sacristans Three part time high school studentsNote: Snow removal and landscaping services are out sourced
Buildings, Grounds and Related Institutions:
The building and grounds committee has completed in the last five years two million dollars of updates and renovations to the buildings and grounds of the parish. The major updates:
- Renovated former school building into a parish center. The center includes a new parish office, large parish hall, new kitchen, and a center adjacent to the church with comfortable meeting space. These spaces have new HVAC, keyless entry, and security systems. The center also has thirteen classrooms that have been carpeted and painted. Most of the center has new roofs and new windows.
- New parking lots have been created and all exterior lighting has been upgraded.
- A new three bay garage for storage was built.
- The rectory has had many updates including a new roof, air conditioning (second floor), furnace, chapel, deck, and four new bathrooms.
- The Church has a new HVAC system.
There is a five-year plan being developed (2020-2025). The major areas to be addressed:
- The interior of the Church needs new painting, carpeting, and tiles ($125,000 estimate)
- The exterior of the Church and School need to be cleaned and sealed. Estimated $150,000 – $200,000 that could be done in phases over several years.
- A comprehensive list of needed building maintenance and updates exists and is manageable given current funding streams.
- The committee has a goal of developing a detailed preventative maintenance schedule for the parish.