In 2014/2015 the state of Pennsylvania enacted new legislation revising the procedures for reporting child abuse. Therefore, in order to strengthen the protection of children and to assure that all mandated reporters have accurate information, the Diocese of Scranton has established a policy requiring all identified mandated reporters to complete the online training course available at no cost on VIRTUS.
The following individuals in the Diocese of Scranton are required to complete mandated reporter training:
- Priests and Deacons engaged in active ministry, Parish Life Coordinators, Diaconate Applicants, Seminarians
- Adult staff working in parish offices
- Adult employees and adult volunteers who, on the basis of the individual’s role as part of a regularly scheduled program, activity or service, accepts responsibility for a child and has direct contact with children (i.e. Directors of Religious Education, Catechists, Youth Ministers, Youth Coaches, Youth Choir Directors)
- School employees (including substitute teachers, cafeteria and maintenance employees)
- Employees of a child-care service who have direct contact with children during the course of employment
- Employees of a social service agency who have direct contact with children in the course of employment