IT Support Specialist
To provide IT assistance to the Diocese of Scranton with respect to its Windows infrastructure/server environment, personal computing hardware and software, computer networking, and telecommunications.
Reports To: IT Manager
- Maintains computers and related peripheral equipment, including network (Windows) servers, and networking equipment utilized by the Diocese of Scranton.
- Supports the reliability, stability and security of the Diocese of Scranton’s Windows-based server/domain environment which includes, but is not limited to, Windows domain controller(s), file server and email (Exchange) server, network storage, and DNS. Responsible for server backups.
- Assists with the development and deployment of Active Directory Group Policy, as well as the management of Domain Printing, and Users and Groups;
- Performs troubleshooting services and assistance to diocesan users to isolate, diagnose, and fix problems dealing with Windows, fax and print servers, desktop and laptop computers, operating systems, software applications, website maintenance, and mobile equipment; Ensures customer service is a top priority;
- Assists in operations of IT department’s help desk to aid users with questions and problems related to computer software and hardware.
- Installs, configures, and tests workstations with supporting hardware, software, and networking components. Coordinates with IT Manager to assure timely and accurate hardware and software installation to the satisfaction of diocesan end users.
- Maintains endpoint security controls and applications on diocesan workstations and mobile devices.
- Installs software and user utilities for modifications and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments. Tests and deploys updates to systems and software as needed to ensure secure, reliable, and stable operation of servers and desktops, including Windows updates and anti-virus/anti-malware applications.
- Serves as technical resource for enterprise communication and connectivity issues (wired, wireless and remote); assists in troubleshooting and resolution of network problems;
- Periodically reviews access control system logs and reports to ensure that the systems are working properly and that no unauthorized activity is taking place;
- Supports the Voice over IP telephone system and PBX environment and related software;
- Assists IT Manager in maintaining lifecycle equipment replacement, computer inventory control, and software license compliance on all responsible systems. Also assists IT Manager with IT project planning and vendor management, training of end users and departmental business continuity planning;
- Performs other activities as assigned.
- Significant troubleshooting and support knowledge of desktop, mobile, and server computer hardware;
- Hands-on experience with various computer peripherals such as printers, monitors, modems and other equipment;
- Working knowledge of IT departmental procedures, including help desk operations.
- Attention to detail and disciplined in maintaining and organizing documentation efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to work with more than one project/responsibility at a time. Strong time-management skills.
- Familiarity with local area network design, implementation, and operation;
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe products, and web authoring and editing software and the self-motivation and the ability to stay current with emerging office technologies.
- Ability to perform research relating to computer software issues and make recommendations for improvements.
- Ability to learn new software applications quickly and independently;
- Experience with wireless and remote networking connectivity (i.e. VPN)
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Work well under stress and time pressures to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary customer skills, including dealing effectively with staff and management, both in person and over the telephone. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all customers. Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to the needs of all end users.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively summarize work activities both written and verbal, for the purpose of communicating project status to manager.
- Ability to deliver on-site and remote assistance to end users, which may involve (non-overnight) travel.
- Familiarity with HTML and web content management;
- Physically able to lift various materials up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
This position requires communications and analytical skills normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in mathematics, computer science or a related field, or equivalent technical training in a computer-related field.
This position requires three years (combined) experience related to the support and maintenance of: computer workstations and peripherals, networking equipment, Microsoft server and desktop operating systems, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange, and mobile devices (primarily iOS).
Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Interested applicants are asked to send a cover letter with salary requirement and a complete resume with references by no later than March 31, 2017 to:
Diocesan Secretary for Human Resources
300 Wyoming Avenue Scranton, Pa. 18503
Or email Jim-Burke@dioceseofscranton.org